Coffee & Eggs With Mole Sauce
Coffee and eggs go together like breakfast and mornings. But this wake-up call takes that classic combo to a whole new level by mixing the two and giving the works a Mexican spin. It even finds a way to slip a little chocolate onto your plate. (And we ask you: when the day begins with chocolate, how can it be anything but great?)
The secret here is a quick and easy mole sauce, which you can even make the night before so getting up is that much simpler and more satiating.
Mole Over Easy
- 1 cup of canned stewed tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup of full-strength cold-brew coffee
- 1-2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. canned chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped
- 1-2 tsp of grated bittersweet dark chocolate
- 8 eggs
- Sliced avocado
- Shredded cheddar or jack cheese (optional)
Puree the tomatoes, coffee, garlic, onion, olive oil, and chiles, in your food processor or blender until smooth. Pour into a saucepan and simmer on low for about 10 minutes, stirring now and then until the sauce thickens. Add the chocolate, stir, and season to taste with salt. Set aside.
Cook eggs sunny side up or over easy according to your preference, top with avocado slices, and drizzle the sauce over it all. Finish with a sprinkle of shredded cheddar or jack cheese for an added treat.