No self-respecting coffee habit is complete without a gadget or two. It’s how we make life simpler and turn the ordinary act of coffee-making into something more. With the caveat that one person’s essentials are another’s foolish trinkets, here are a few of our own recent favorites:
- For fresh espresso not from a machine but from—yes—a microwave, try the Piamo, which makes a cup in just 30 simple seconds using nuked heat and the steam pressure it creates. It’s like instant coffee without the ugly sensory consequences.
- The Handpresso ups that ante by letting you prepare a fresh espresso (get this) in your car!Designed to fit in your hand and use a 12-volt outlet, it’s your personal guarantee that no road trip will ever run out of gas again.
- Love frothed milk in your cup? Who doesn’t? But how many of us have a machine to make it? The Capresso Froth whips your dairy into a frenzy on a dime and heats it, too, so you can drink your java like pro without that scary steaming wand or the third-degree burns it always seems to threaten.
- If you spend your coffee break feeling like Goldilocks looking for a boost that’s not too cold and not too hot but just right, Coffee Joulies are your new bestie. Inside each steel bean hides a secret material that absorbs the tongue-torturing terror from overheated brews and then releases it slowly back into the cup to prevent the same coffee from going cold.
- Summer’s here so where’s the iced coffee? Oh, that’s right… we forgot to chill any overnight and now (dammit!) we’re screwed. Or are we? No, in fact, we are not. We have the HyperChiller, which drops the temperature of fresh hot coffee 130° in one minute without diluting our drink to insipidity.
- Of course, we could just keep some cold brew on hand for our iced needs. But (dammit!) we forgot to make that too. Good thing we have a Prisma. It promises cold brew from scratch in 10 minutes via a vacuum infusion process that packs 14 hours worth of slow brewing into a lot less time than it takes to drive to your local coffee shop.
- And if you think that’s incredible, try the Barisieur. Quite possibly, the greatest invention in the history of humanity, it’s an alarm clock whose alarm is a cup of fresh brewed coffee automatically brewed right there on your nightstand at the time of your choosing and placed within arm’s reach (with cream and sugar no less) so your first sip can come before you even wake up and smell it. Now that’s
- We’ve said before that we favor burr grinders, and the Baratza Virtuoso is one we love. It replaces all that hand-cranking work (OMG is it coffee yet?) with an electric motor, precision burrs, and 40 settings that adjust from ultra-fine to super coarse for perfect grounds every time. Because like everything else here, we just want our coffee. Please don’t make us work for it.
Special Offer: Use code TRYKOHANA to save 25% off your next order! Shop now!